- July 19th 2017
Hi, we’re Ross and Justin from Spit and Roast, serving your favourite fried chicken indulgence at festivals from Lovebox to Green Man!
This summer, we’ve teamed up with Barbour to bring you a special twist on our buttermilk fried chicken, so you can recreate this for friends and family.
We love how this recipe will transform fried chicken into something fantastic, with the summer slaw and hot sauce adding an extra burst of flavour. Enjoy our recipe and share your creations using #BarbourSummer.
A taste of: Buttermilk Fried Chicken Bap with Korean Hot Sauce and Radish & Ginger Slaw
Ingredients for the Dredge:
• 200 g plain flour
• 100 g cornflour
• 30 g paprika
• 30 g chilli powder
• 20 g dried thyme
• 30 g garlic powder
• 30g salt
• 15g black pepper
Ingredients to make the Korean Hot Sauce: (approximation)
• 500ml Sriracha Hot Sauce
• 200 g Gochujang paste
• 100ml rice wine vinegar
• 100g finely crushed peanuts
• 50 ml golden syrup
• 50 ml soy sauce
• 30 ml sesame oil
Ingredients for the Summer Slaw:
• 150g red cabbage, finely shredded
• 150g green cabbage, finely shredded
• 150g white cabbage, finely shredded
• 75g grated carrot
• 75g grated mooli radish
• 1" fresh ginger, finely grated
• Rice wine vinegar and mayonnaise to blend.
1. Marinade boneless chicken thighs in fresh buttermilk overnight or for at least 8 hours.
2. Coat chicken evenly in the dredge mix. Fry in clean rapeseed oil at 150 degrees C for around 8-10mins, depending on thickness of pieces. Chicken should reach internal temp of 83 degrees C, probe with a meat thermometer.
3. For the sauce, combine ingredients in a large pan, slowly bring to a simmer, stirring frequently so the mixture does not catch. Cook out for ten minutes or so and let it cool before blending and transferring to jars or bottles.
4. Toast a Demi brioche bun, top with a generous portion of slaw. Place on 1 1/2 sliced thighs, and coat liberally with Korean Hot Sauce.
That's all folks! We hope you all enjoy! Make sure to tag #BarbourSummer in your creations this summer, we can’t wait to see them!