- February 11th 2014
If you're planning a winters day walk followed by some delicious homebaking, this is the perfect recipe!
100 g unsalted butter
100ml Single Cream
100g dark brown soft sugar
100g Golden Syrup
2 Large Eggs
200g Plain flout
1tsp baking powder
1tsp ground cinnamon
3 large crystalised ginger pieces – or freshly grated root ginger
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, gas mark 4. Grease a 21cm cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- To make the cake, put the butter cream, dark brown sugar, golden syrup and treacle in a saucepan and melt over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then beat in the eggs one a time. Fold in the flour, baking powder and spices until you have a smooth batter, then stir through the finely chopped stem ginger.
- Tip into the cake tin and scatter over the roughly chopped stem ginger. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- If making the glaze, heat all the ingredients in a small saucepan with 4 tbsp water, simmer for 5 minutes until reduced and syrupy. Prick holes all over the cake with a skewer or fork, then pour over the warm syrup.
- Allow the cake to cool to room temperature in the tin set on a wire rack, slicing into squares to serve.