- January 16th 2017
In our final blog post of the series, we’re looking at Chris’s most loved healthiest dinner dish, a tasty chicken tikka masala.
Find out below what it takes to create this scrumptious dish…
Healthy Chicken Tikka Masala
Serves - 4
4 chicken breast cut into cubes
Salt and pepper to season
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds
3 cloves garlic
Thumb size nob of ginger
1 teaspoon of paprika
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons of gara masala
1 tablespoons of tomato puree
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
350ml chicken stock
2 tablespoons of ground almonds
4 tablespoons of single cream
1 tablespoon of honey
Juice of ¼ lemons
1. Peel the onions, garlic and ginger and place into a food processor, blitz until you have a smooth paste.
2. Heat the oil in a casserole pan or large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat.
3. Add the mustards seeds, when they begin to pop add the onion, garlic and ginger paste.
4. Cook over a medium heat for ten minutes until the onion begins to caramelise and turn golden brown.
5. Add the paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander, gara masala and tomato puree to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, keep stirring being careful not to let the spices stick to the pan and burn, add a splash of water if it begins to look to dry.
6. Now add the chopped chicken breasts and give it a good stir to coat them in the spices.
7. Add in the chopped tomatoes, stock and almonds. Bring to a boil, cover loosely with a lid and then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
8. Stir the cream and honey in to this delicious healthy chicken tikka masala along with the lemon juice, check the taste and adjust the seasoning.